Monday, June 28, 2010

Thing #8: Wiki Wiki Wonderland

It takes a lot to inspire me. Generally, I'm unimpressed with heart-warming stories and tales of fabulous technological success. However, reading Vicki Davis's blog left me feeling oddly excited to get started on a Wiki for my kiddos this year. I really appreciated how she explained her step-by-step process to get the students up to speed, and I bookmarked it to use it later when lesson planning for the upcoming year. I think that I'll definitely try this out on my Yearbook staff. It seems like a good idea for them, though I'm not sure on the specifics quite yet.

For the three wikis that I chose to investigate, I tried to pick 3 different ones to focus on, kind of to give myself an overview of the different situations and possibilities. First, I took a glance at what I thought was a pretty comprehensive one. David Lindsay's classroom wiki seemed kind of a "catch-all" site at first. However, the longer I spent looking through it, the more I understood how it was organized. I loved the top menu for the most part, and I really enjoyed seeing how the students were able to post about news articles - I think that will be one of my "done early" activities this year if I start one for my ESL class, and maybe one of my weekly expectations for my Yearbook kids, to reflect on designs they've found/made. I would change the curriculum on the bottom of the page. I think that should just be a completely different tab.

Second, I looked into a much more focused site, the Discovery Utopia Project. I found this site endlessly interesting, mainly because of the content rather than the concept. But when I wasn't getting wrapped up in the students' imaginations, I noticed that this is a fabulous way to organize a project. I found this to be the most realistic way that I might use a wiki in my ESL class, because I already have a Google website for them. As useful as a Google site is, a wiki would be easier to monitor and allow students to post on, I think. Of course, when I use this for one of my projects, I'll make a couple of alterations - like moving the student work page up to a higher level to enhance their feeling of both responsibility when they're not doing their part and accomplishment when they are.

Finally, I looked at the 1001 Tales website. This one, for me, was the most frustrating to navigate because I didn't 100% understand what was happening with the "front page." I couldn't figure out if I should go to another site or what! But once I got my web-feet under me once more, I found one important advantage this website had: safety advice. Again, I bookmarked this website to help me in the future. And, to be honest, I signed up to be notified about next year's 1001 Tales.


2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of using a wiki with your Yearbook staff! Oh how I wish I'd had a wiki when I was working with my staff of middle schoolers. It might have made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive how you are looking at the WIkis not just for content, but on their organization, as well.

    ReplyDelete