Sunday, July 4, 2010

Thing #11: Flickr Findings


As I mentioned in my last post, I've already used Flickr for a variety of tasks, both professional and personal. In fact, I've already had my kids use Flickr to search for CC photos for their portfolio projects. So I didn't learn as much this time around as some other teachers may have. However, I did realize WHY it took my lovely students so very, VERY long to finish their projects: because it's so hard to get exactly what you want to pop up!

Most of my past experiences have involved working from certain users' photos or searching for a specific type of graphic that we knew existed. During this Discover exercise, I found it incredibly hard to explore the concept of "Imagine" or "Ima
gination." Apparently, the Flickr world thinks that John Lennon and Yoko Ono invented the word, or something. However, I did manage to find one photo that I thought was worthwhile to convey the theme completely graphically by okaysamurai.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/okaysamurai/424974185/

I think in the upcoming year, I'll use Flickr more, not only as a tool for my students to use, but also as a tool for me to use in the classroom. Now that I have a projector neatly mounted on my ceiling and a way to connect it to a computer with Internet, I need to utilize these online tools!

No comments:

Post a Comment