Monday, July 5, 2010

Thing #7a: Reading Rundown

As I scroll through my Google Readers, I often find many articles of interest to me personally, but it does take a little while for time for me to find an article I truly appreciate in the educational areas. One that I recently found on the TechLearning blog that I'm subscribed to was a bit called "What Silly Will Get You."

In this article, Dean Shareski writes on the idea that for every serious advantage that technological advances bring, we also must deal with the silly creations that come out of that advance. It's an interesting concept for me, because I feel that it discusses the very truth of life: there cannot be only seriousness. There must also be silliness, it is part of what makes life wonderful.

I see that reflected in this course, as well. While we are, of course, encouraged to use all of these tools to enhance our teaching and to open our students up to these tools as well. But, as I've noticed in many of the "things" we have to do, you also encourage us to explore how they may serve us in our personal lives, as well. I agree with the blogger when he says "For us to try and wish the silly away is futile and in many ways ignores what it means to be human." What would these advances be if they did not serve both sides of our personalities? I think that it's important to recognize the value in silliness, as well as recognize that it's irresistible. Sometimes I'm surprised by how quickly my students get off task even as they're trying to do their work. This article reminded me to make time for them to be creative and "silly," as well as giving them very clear instructions and monitoring closely to make sure that they stay focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment