Monday, July 19, 2010

Thing #20: Google Docs = Everyone's BFF

Once more, I have to admit that I've been using Google Docs for a while now. Our administrators have used it to manage ISS and detentions, as well as to hold documents such as role sheets for OEYP.

In fact, I actually took Paige Wester's Google Apps course in the spring, where we created a Google website for our classes and explored the different ways that we can use GoogleDocs in the classroom.

Some ways that I've already used the tool include:
  • Creating forms as quizzes for the kiddos
  • Using the site to manage a calendar of deadlines
  • Creating a page of alternative activities for early-finishers
In the future, I'm planning on using GoogleDocs for the group book report projects that my reading students do, as it will make it SO MUCH EASIER for them to all be held accountable for the work when each student can modify the document at the same time. Sure, it'll be a long first day of instruction, teaching them how to use the PowerPoint-esqe application and troubleshooting, but it will be worth it in the long run.

I'm also planning on using it for all of my students as a way to save their documents, rather than relying on their ability to remember to save it to their student folder on the network, etc. That's a great way for them to lose things, it happens all the time. However, I'm hopeful that if they actually are required to UPLOAD the document, there will be fewer "I don't remember where I saved it!" excuses.

Oh, and PS- here's the link to my published document!

No comments:

Post a Comment